Applicants to the Certification Program must submit scores from one of four acceptable English proficiency examinations:
- TOEFL® iBT (minimum required total score of 83)
- TOEFL® PBT (minimum required total score of 540 on the paper-based version, or 207 on the computer based version)
- TOEIC® (minimum required total score of 725)
- IELTS (minimum required total score of 6.5 (Academic Module only)
Note: For TOEFL® PBT or TOEFL® iBT, please reference code number 9988 on your application form to ensure your results will be sent electronically to CGFNS. For IELTS, please provide your Test Report Form (TRF) number on your Certification Program application and request IELTS to have your exam scores made electronically available to CGFNS.
Scores must be from an English exam taken within 2 years of the Certification Program Qualifying Exam®. You are not required to submit your scores in advance of taking the Qualifying Exam®. However, if you pass the Qualifying Exam®, you will not be certified until English proficiency exam scores are received. You will have 2 years to submit English exam scores after taking the Qualifying Exam®. If you do not meet the English proficiency requirement within 2 years' time, you will be required to take the CGFNS Qualifying Exam® again to be certified.
Exemption from the English Proficiency requirement: You must meet two criteria to be exempt from the English proficiency requirement.
- The language of textbooks and verbal instruction were in English.
- Your entry-level nursing education was completed in one of the following countries:
Canada (except Quebec, the only schools approved for exemption are: McGill University, Dawson College, Vanier College, John Abbott College, and Heritage College)
Trinidad and Tobago