Choosing the Correct CGFNS International Service for Nurses
1. How can CGFNS help me?
For foreign educated nurses, the first step to practicing as a nurse in the United States is to apply for a license with a state board of nursing.
To do this, all documents related to education and work experience need to be verified, authenticated and evaluated by a credentials evaluation organization. CGFNS has more than four decades of experience in the field and has helped thousands of health care professionals migrate around the world.
2. What is the NCLEX?
The National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) is a test to determine if you can begin your practice as an entry-level nurse in the United States.
3. Is the NCLEX the only step to working as a nurse in the United States?
No. Each state board has its own requirements to determine educational comparability of those educated outside of the United States. Before taking the NCLEX, other requirements are necessary for foreign educated nurses.
4. How do I learn about the necessary requirements for different states?
CGFNS provides all services necessary for foreign educated nurses to take all the steps to legally work as a nurse in the United States. Visit the link below for the requirements in different states:
5. What are the services provided by CCGNS?
CGFNS offers a variety of services for foreign educated health care workers who want to migrate to another country. We authenticate and verify documents from schools, licensing authorities and employers. We evaluate education, work experience and clinical hours and compare it to standards in the United States. We work with international students who want to study at a university in the United States.
Certification Program (CP), Credentials Evaluation Service (CES) Professional Report, Credentials Evaluation Service (CES) Academic Report and VisaScreen®: Visa Credentials Assessment (VS), and Credential Verification Service for New York State (CVS).
6. What is the Certificate Program (CP)?
The Certification Program CP includes:
- The CGFNS Qualifying Exam® for first-level, general nurses
- A credentials evaluation of secondary and nursing education and registration.
- Demonstration of passing one of the accepted English language proficiency exams.
7. What is the next step after the completion of the Certificate Program (CP)?
When successfully completed, applicants receive the CGFNS Certification Program Certificate. They can request CGFNS to send an official verification to the state board of their choice. The document will serve official requirement to take the NCLEX® exam. The CGFNS Certification Program Certificate is valid for life.
8. What is the Credentials Evaluation Service (CES) Professional Report?
It is a Report that meets the specific requirements of individual state boards of nursing.
9. What is the Report’s content?
- It provides a detailed analysis of the credentials earned at multiple levels of nursing education received outside the United States according to requirements specific to a state.
- It includes a statement of comparability of an applicant’s education when measured against U.S. standards.
10. What is the Credentials Evaluation Service (CES) Academic Report?
- It is designed to meet the needs of applicants pursuing further education in U.S. institutions of higher learning.
- It provides a detailed analysis of the nursing education received outside the United States. The Report is advisory in nature and does not make specific placement recommendations.
11. What is the Visa Credentials Assessment?
- It is a comprehensive screening program for health care professionals who are not U.S. citizens and are seeking an occupational visa to work in the United States.
- The VisaScreen®: Visa Credentials Assessment Service requires specific health care professionals to complete a screening program before they can receive either a permanent or temporary occupational visa, including Trade NAFTA status
- An assessment of an applicant’s education to ensure that it is comparable to that of a U.S. graduate in the same profession
- A verification that all professional health care licenses that an applicant ever held are valid and without restrictions
- An English language proficiency examination
- For registered nurses only, a verification that the nurse has passed either the CGFNS Qualifying Exam®, NCLEX-RN® or for select years and Providences its predecessor, the State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE).
12. What is the next step after acquiring the Visa Credentials Service?
Applicants who successfully complete VisaScreen® receive an official ICHP Certificate for the VisaScreen®: Visa Credentials Assessment Service, which satisfies the United States Federal screening requirements. ICHP (International Commission on Healthcare Professions) is a division of CGFNS International.
13. What is the Credential Verification Service for New York State (CVS)?
The Credential Verification Service for New York State (CVS) verifies the authenticity of international education and licensure credentials for the State of New York. The Service is for those health care professionals educated outside the United States who wish to practice in New York. As specified by the state, CGFNS International completes a verification of foreign education and credentials. New York State Education Department then completes the actual evaluation of the verified credentials.