- Applying for the Credential Verification Service for New York State
1. What is the process to apply for Credential Verification Service for New York State?
The Credential Verification Service for New York State costs $390. In addition to the payment, applicants are required to submit forms authorizing CGFNS International to request academic transcripts of record and validation of professional licensing, as well as a signed and notarized attestation, all of which are found in the application.
2. Why do I need to send submit forms authorizing CGFNS International to request academic transcripts of record and validation of professional licensing?
The state of New York demands that CGFNS collects and verifies all information on the behalf of the applicant. Therefore, CGFNS needs to contact schools and licensing authorities for the applicant.
3. What happens after CGFNS receives all information from schools and licensing authorities?
The Education Department will then evaluate the applicant’s documents.
4. How do I apply?
There are two ways to apply:
- Download and print the paper application handbookand submit by mail. Note: There is an additional $75 paper application processing fee when applying by this method making the total $465.
- Create a CGFNS Connect account and apply online. If you apply online, you must still submit the authorization forms and notarized attestation by mail within 90 days from your payment date or your application will expire and your payment will be forfeited.
- How Long Does Credential Verification Service for New York State Take?
The amount of time for completion of the Credential Verification Service (CVS) for New York State varies in length depending on how long it takes for schools or licensing authorities to respond to CGFNS’ requests. These are the steps to complete the service:
1. Processing your order.
Our target date is 10 weeks from the time we receive your application materials to the time we send out the first request letter to your school and licensing authority.
2. Waiting for a response.
After the first letter is sent to your school and licensing authority, we wait 60 days before sending a second request letter, and another 60 days before sending a third and final letter.
Note: After 180 days from the time the first letter was sent, your order status will change to Ready for Submission, regardless of what documentation we have received. Please be mindful that we still need to wait until the school or licensing authority responds.
Note2: For Canadian applicants, a letter is sent every 30 days, and the order status changes to Ready for Submission after 90 days.
3. Reviewing documentation.
Upon receipt of documentation from your school or licensing authority, we must verify its authenticity and ensure that all the information provided is consistent. This process is typically completed within 4-6 weeks. If there is a problem with the documentation, we will write back to the issuing source for further clarification.
4. Issuing the report.
A report can be issued to the New York State Education Department within 4-6 weeks after the receipt of all necessary documentation.